General Overview of the PVoC Program
PVOC Program is a conformity assessment program applied to products at the respective exporting countries, to ensure their compliance with the applicable Kenyan Technical Regulations and Mandatory Standards or approved specifications.
Legal Basis of the PVoC Program
PVOC program was started on 29th September 2005 by KEBS, through the publication of Legal Notice No. 78 of 15th July, 2005 by the Minister for Trade and Industry. The program is also fully compliant with the provisions of Article 5 of WTO TBT Agreement.
Objectives of the program
- To ensure quality of products, health and safety, and environmental protection for consumers.
- To facilitate trade by ensuring that compliant goods are given expedited clearance at the port of entry.
- To safeguard the country from unfair trade practices and dumping of substandard goods by ensuring that imported products comply with the same requirements to which locally manufactured goods are subjected.
- To safeguard the country’s national security.
- To prevent deceptive trade practices.
Operations of the Program
- The program is operated by accredited third party inspections companies on behalf of KEBS.
- The world is divided into nineteen (19) regions based on proximity and trade volumes. In addition, the program provides for multiple partners in majority of the regions to enhance efficiency.
- The basis of certification is Kenya standards or approved specifications.
TERMS AND DEFINITION
- PVOC – Pre-Export Verification of Conformity to Standards
- COC – Certificate of Conformity
- COI – Certificate of Inspection
- COR- Certificate of Roadworthiness for Motor Vehicles
- NCR- Non conformity Report
- RFC- Request for Certification
- IDF- Import Declaration Form
- QMS- Quality Management System
- PVOC Partners – KEBS - Appointed Inspection and Certification Companies.
- PPB- Pharmacy and Poisons Board PCPB- Pest Control Products Board
- CA- Communications Authority of Kenya
- KCAA- Kenya Civil Aviation Authority
- DVS- Department of Veterinary Services
- KEPHIS- Kenya Plant Health Inspectorate Service
- Mobile Equipment- refers to used trailers, bulldozers, agricultural tractors, excavators, graders, moveable cranes and off-road vehicles
PVOC AGENTS FOR GENERAL GOODS (EXCLUDING MOTOR VEHICLES, MOBILE EQUIPMENT AND USED MOTOR VEHICLE SPARE PARTS)
Contacts details of the liaison offices for the contracted inspection companies for general goods and their Zones/ Countries of Responsibilities: