Quality management section is headed by a quality manager, who is supported by two staff.
The quality office works closely with the Head of department, heads of laboratories and all the testing staff to ensure that the testing activities meets;
- Requirements of the laboratory management system ISO/IEC 17025:2005
- Requirements of testing quality management system procedures.
- Requirements of the Accreditation body.
- Customer needs.
Testing laboratories are accredited to ISO/IEC 17025; 2005.
Currently the accreditation is by the South Africa Accreditation Services (SANAS) and previously by United Kingdom Accreditation Services (UKAS).
A number of tests are accredited .Add a link for accredited tests. Testing services department projects to add 300 more tests by 2019 as per the testing Business plan.
Quality Management section ensures laboratory quality system is implemented, maintained and continually improves by;
- Participation in proficiency testing schemes by the laboratories. - This mainly gives confidence that the laboratories are able to give credible and accurate results.
- Training and organizing training for staff i.e. root cause analysis, good laboratory practice, uncertainty of measurement, laboratory procedures and work instructions, accreditation body requirements and laboratory management system standard among others. - This enhances skills needed to carry out laboratory work.
- Ensuring laboratories run and maintain a rigorous regime of internal quality control by use of HRMs, blind samples, duplicate samples and spiked samples. - This gives confidence of credible and accurate results.
- Planning and overseeing implementation of internal audits. - This verifies the effectiveness of the laboratory quality management system.