The KEBS Testing Services Department was established in 1981with an aim of providing laboratory facilities meant for examination and testing of commodities /materials whether in raw form, semi processed or fully processed
The Testing Services Department is one of the departments in Metrology, Testing and Market Surveillance Division within Kenya Bureau of Standards (KEBS). The department supports the KEBS mission by serving as the national reference laboratory for measurements /testing in the chemical, biological and Engineering/material sciences as outlined in the Standards Act. Our activities cover the following areas:
- Conformity assessment based measurements (testing) for the composition, structure and physical properties of various products in diverse fields such as chemical, food, industrial, biological ,environment , engineering and process raw materials
- The development and dissemination of reference test procedures and reference materials
- Provision of proficiency testing and inter-laboratory comparison schemes
- Training, consultancy and development of best practice guides that help assure measurement quality.
- Provision of contract testing services tailor made to support specific client objectives
The testing services department implements a quality management system based on ISO 17025 (General requirements for the competence of testing and calibration laboratories); all laboratories in the department are accredited to ISO17025 and all laboratory operations implemented in line with the requirements of the standards.
The testing services department is structured (Provide a link to laboratory structure) into three broad thematic areas namely engineering, chemistry biology and the Sample Control Centre. Each field served by different specialized laboratories focused on different product categories(Provide a link to the laboratory scope). The Laboratories are managed by a highly trained and technically competent personnel supportedby a team of skilled and experienced technical staff. The technical staff comprise of university graduates (at undergraduate and postgraduate levels) and technicians who hold national and higher national diplomas.
The department serves as a focal point for chemical metrology in the country and represents KEBS the Consultative Committee for Amount of Substance (CCQM) at the BIPM.
The TES business plan (Provide a link to the business plan) reflects the present realities in provision of testing services and future plans to move testing services in KEBS to the next frontier in providing comprehensive solutions in conformity assessment by becoming the National Reference Laboratory on trade related measurements, research, complaint resolution and realization of specific customer needs.
Testing - Product Details
Our primary products and services include:
- Sampling, testing and analysis (inside the lab)
- Performance Testing and validation of new products
- Environmental monitoring (at client's premises)
- Proficiency testing
- Reference materials
- Training, research, advisory and consultancy services in testing, laboratory quality management systems, quality controls etc.
Extensive services are offered to various economic sectors.
Product conformity testing:
- Conformity testing against standard requirements
- Batch testing on contractual basis
- Non-destructive testing.