Frequently asked questions on Standards
1. What is a Standard? A Standard is a technical document detailing the criteria necessary to ensure that a material, product, service, or procedure is fit for the purpose it was intended. Standards serve as a guide for production of goods and provision of services, and are a basis for trade transactions.
2. Who initiates standards development? Stakeholders: consumers, academia, industry, professionals, government, relevant associations and any interested party can request for initiation of standards development.
3. Who is affected by Standards? Standards affect everybody including but not limited to industry, importers, exporters, consumers, regulators and society at large.
4. What is the difference between a standard, regulation and technical regulation? Standard This is a document, established by consensus and approved by a recognized body that provides for common and repeated use, rules, guidelines or characteristics for products or related processes and production methods. They may include: terminology, symbols, packaging, marking or labeling requirements. NOTE: Standards should be based on the consolidated results of science, technology and experience, and aimed at the promotion of optimum community benefits. Regulation Document providing binding legislative rules, that is adopted by a designated authority of the government. Technical regulation Mandatory standards or regulations that make reference to standards or sections thereof to lay down product characteristics, their related processes: (e.g. specifications, codes of practice or guidelines) set by regulatory bodies that make reference to standards.
5. How can I access Standards ? Standards are available at the Standards Information Center (SIC) based at KEBS Headquaters and at all regional offices at a fee. The SIC is open to all members of the public.
6. How can one know which Standards have been developed ? There is a catalogue of developed standards (standards catalogue) which is available online at [ www.kebs.org ]
7. What are the benefits of the Standards ? The benefits include : a. Ensure quality of products and services b. Safeguards the environment, health and safely of the consumer c. Minimization of wastage d. Reduction of costs of production e. Incresed productivity in the industry f. Removal of trade barrier g. Access of markets h. Competitiveness i. Better communication j. Transfer of technology k. Better utillization of resources i. Efficiency