How do I get the ISM
The importer triggers the process by presenting an application to KEBS supported with:
- A certificate of Conformity (CoC)
- Packing list
- Import documents (IDF/Customs Entry)
Upon successful review of the application, the importer is issued with the soft copy of the ISM at no cost.
The ISM is issued on consignment specific. The mark must be applied to all products which have impact on health and safety, environment such as food and foodstuffs, electrical fittings, electrical appliances and accessories, infant ware and toys.
How the mark shall be applied:
The mark shall be given to importers for reproduction and application of the soft copy. The ISM is reproduced by the importer taking into account the size and type of packaging involved.
The following information is captured for ease of accessibility:
- Name and physical address of importer
- Telephone, fax and Email address
- KEBS CoC Number
- Barcode information (when applicable)
CANCELLATION/SUSPENSION OF MARK
KEBS may cancel or suspend the use of the mark where the importer / vendor:
- Does not adhere to the terms and conditions for use of ISM
- The product fails to meet requirements of the Kenya standard or approved specification
Any person who is aggrieved by
- The refusal by KEBS to issue mark
The variation, cancellation or suspension of the use of the mark, may within 14days of the notification of the act complained of being received by the applicant, appeal in writing to the Standards appeal tribunal. The Standard Appeal Tribunal shall give the reason for the decisions in writing.