Kenya Bureau of Standards (KEBS) is a statutory body established under the Standards Act (CAP 496) of the laws of Kenya. KEBS comenced its operations in July 1974.
The KEBS Board of Directors is known as the National Standards Council (NSC). It is the policy-making body for supervising and controlling the administration and financial management of the Bureau. The Managing Director is the Chief Executive responsible for the day-to-day administration of the Bureau within the broad guidelines formulated by the NSC.
1974. KEBS was founded by the enhancement of the CAP 496 of the laws of Kenya.
1980. KEBS moved its headquarters’ to South C.
1981. Metrology was initiated.
1985. Testing services were offered.
1985. KEBS Coast region was opened.
1995. KEBS Kisumu office was opened.
1995. Legal inspection was commissioned under legal notice no.78.
2003. KEBS developed its 1st strategic plan.
2005. KEBS signs performance contract with the government.
2005. Pre-Export verification of conformity was initiated
To be a global leader in standards based solutions that deliver quality and confidence.
To provide standardization solutions for sustainable development.
KEBS is mandated to provide standardization and conformity assessment services through:-
- Promotion of Standardization in commerce and industry
- Provision of testing and calibration facilities
- Product and system certification
- Undertaking educational work in standardization and practical application of standards
- Maintenance and dissemination of International System of Units (SI) of measurements.
The Kenya Bureau of Standards (KEBS) is committed to providing Standardization and Conformity Assessment services that consistently meet its customers’requirements and endeavour to exceed their expectations.
The Management of KEBS shall provide the necessary resources towards the effective implementation and continual improvement of the Quality Management System that complies with ISO 9001:2008.
KEBS Core Values
Our corporate culture is based on our core values - the beliefs and behavioural qualities that will not be compromised. KEBS’ core values are as follows:
- Integrity – We are accountable, honest, trustworthy, respectful and ethical in our actions. We maintain a level of independence that assures confidence;
- Customer Focus – We listen to both our internal and external customers and deliver an ever-increasing value to them;
- Environmental Sustainability – We endeavour to ensure the sustainability of our environment;
- Excellence – We relentlessly pursue success and continuously look for new ways to improve our services and processes.